- Published: Monday, 15 January 2018 12:49
SDI to Support Sustainable Energy Planning in West Africa
The GSDI Small Grants Program part-funded a project to map the operational CEMGs projects in ECOWAS region and publish them on the ECOWREX SDI platform, thus contributing to offer open spatial data on operational CEMG (ECOWAS Regional Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE)) that prove to be of high interest for project developers on rural electrification in West Africa.
The project was to:
- produce a document with all necessary information and technical specifications on existing and operational CEMGs in Mali and Senegal that will fulfil the expectations of the project developers in the region;
- elaborate specific spatial datasets with the information and technical specifications on existing CEMGs in Mali and Senegal to be published on the ECOWREX SDI;
- elaborate and publish specific maps and metadata; and
- disseminate results and benefits.
The funds were used to subcontract specific tasks under the data collection and validation part of the project by involving identified key stakeholders from the two ECOWAS member states which are the subject of the study.
Starting date of the project was 28/08/2017. The data collection and validation phase ran from 04/09/2017 to 16/10/2017; the data publication on ECOWREX SDI ran from 16/10/2017 to 06/11/2017 and the maps and communication campaign ran from 06/11/2017 to 30/11/2017. The full project was completed on the 30/01/2018.
The final report can be downloaded here (PDF).
The GSDI Association wishes to thank ECREEE for the successful completion of this valuable project.